BEETROOT RAVIOLI WITH POPPY SEEDS
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
|INGREDIENTS (serves 6):
- 80g butter;
- 1tbsp. poppy seeds;
- 100g freshly grated pecorino cheese;
- 400g plain flour;
- 2 eggs;
- 125 ml milk;
- 1 kg. beetroot;
- 40 g. butter
- 4 tbsp. of homemade breadcrumbs (or 2 pieces of bread);
- 200g. ricotta;
- 1 egg;
- 0.5tsp. of grated nutmeg;
- sea salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Slice off the beet leaves close to the tip of the beet, then wrap each beetroot loosely in foil. Transfer the wrapped beets to a baking sheet and roast for 50-60 minutes. Let it cool and peel;
- Put a paper towel in a sieve, top with ricotta, leave for 1 hour to get rid of excess liquid;
- Meanwhile take two slices of stale bread (if you do not have stale bread just take two pieces of bread and toast them in the oven), break them into small pieces and whiz them in your blender or food processor to get the crumbs. You can add 0.5 tsp. of rosemary or thyme leaves and whiz it together with the crumbs to add some flavour. Put aside;
- Take the flour, two eggs, the milk and pinch of salt and prepare the pasta dough. Let it rest for 20 minutes while you preparing the filling.
- Whiz the beetroots in blender or food processor. Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. of the breadcrumbs and let them color a little, then add the beetroots and cook for about 5 min. to reduce any excess moisture, stirring with a wooden spoon. Place the beetroots to the bowl, add the ricotta, 1 egg and the nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. If the filling looks too soft add some more breadcrumbs;
- Roll out the pasta into very thin sheets. Lay out a sheet of pasta on a lightly floured work surface, then cut into squares (apx 5 cm) with using a fluted ravioli cutter. Place 2 teaspoons of filling in the center of the square, brush the edges of the pasta with a little water and place another pasta square on top. Seal by pressing the edges together.
- Cook the ravioli in plenty of boiling salted water for 3-5 minutes. Meanwhile melt the butter with the poppy seeds in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat until the butter is very hot and foaming. Lift out the ravioli using a slotted spoon and place on serving plates. Sprinkle with the pecorino and dress with the melted butter and poppy seeds.